David Lietz’s practice concentrates on complex civil litigation and consumer class actions, with a particular emphasis on data breach and cybersecurity cases. Since 2020, Mr. Lietz has filed over 100 data breach class action lawsuits, successfully briefing and arguing dozens of motions to dismiss. He serves as lead counsel on multiple cases that are on the cutting edge of Article III federal court jurisdiction in data breach litigation. He has been named class counsel in dozens of data breach class actions, winning millions of dollars in compensation for the victims of data breaches. He has successfully tried consumer class actions to verdict before a jury, most recently in Baez v. LTD Financial Services in the US District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Prior to 2016, Mr. Lietz was a critical injury and wrongful death attorney, handling high-profile wrongful death and injury cases. Some of his representative matters include wrongful death cases arising from the 2009 Washington DC Metrorail crash litigation, a 2006 Greyhound bus crash in upstate New York, the 2002 Interstate 40 bridge collapse, and the 1998 coal dust explosion at a power plant near Chicago, Illinois. Mr. Lietz handled numerous critical injury and wrongful death cases arising from commercial trucking-related crashes.
In addition to his class action and litigation experience, Mr. Lietz has substantial appellate experience, successfully briefing and arguing multiple cases before a number of federal appellate courts, including Home Depot v. Jackson at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and served as part of the successful brief-writing and oral advocacy team for Home Depot v. Jackson, 139 S. Ct. 1743, 1744, 204 L. Ed. 2d 34 (2019) at the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Lietz is passionate about representing real people who have suffered injury through no fault of their own and is equally passionate about making good law, leading as a responsible, ethical attorney who adheres to the highest standards of professional conduct. Mr. Lietz upholds collegiality and respect in litigation, which paves the way to zealously represent clients and disagree on the facts and the law without being disagreeable.
Previously with Whitfield Bryson, Mr. Lietz has now joined Milberg’s team as of March 2022.
Outside the office, Mr. Lietz is a wine professional who previously served on the wine advisory board of a private equity wine fund and is also a volunteer with DC Central Kitchen. Mr. Lietz and his wife are a dog-loving family that enjoys international travel.
Purvis v. Aveanna Healthcare, LLC, No. 1:20-CV-02277-LMM, 2021 WL 5230753 (N.D. Ga. Sept. 27, 2021)
Baldwin v. Nat’l W. Life Ins. Co., No. 2:21-CV-04066-WJE, 2021 WL 4206736 (W.D. Mo. Sept. 15, 2021)
McCreary v. Filters Fast LLC, No. 3:20-CV-595-FDW-DCK, 2021 WL 3044228 (W.D.N.C. July 19, 2021)
Home Depot v. Jackson, 139 S. Ct. 1743, 1744, 204 L. Ed. 2d 34 (2019)
Baez v. LTD Financial Services, L.P., 757 Fed.Appx. 842 (11th Cir. 2018)
Burrow v. Forjas Taurus, S.A., 334 F. Supp. 2d 1222 (S.D. Fla. 2018)
Jackson v. Home Depot U.S.A., Inc., 880 F.3d 165 (4th Cir. 2018)
Rowland v. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., 34 F. Supp. 3d 556 (W.D. Pa. 2014)
Alderson et al. v. Southern Co. et al., 321 Ill. App.3d 832, 747 N.E.2d 926 (2001)
Camalier & Buckley, Inc. v. Sandoz & Lamberton, 667 A.2d 822 (D.C. 1995)
King v. Jones, 647 A.2d 64 (D.C. 1994)
- B.A., Luther College, cum laude, 1988
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1991
- District of Columbia, 1991
- United State District Court, District of Columbia, 1994
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2020
- U.S. District Court, District of North Dakota, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1995
- Luther College Distinguished Service Award
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award
- AV rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Washington D.C. & Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers
- Luther College Board of Regents
- Regent Emeritus
- Luther College Presidential Search Committee
- The International Society of Air Safety Investigators (ISASI)