Antitrust & Competition Law
In a world where increasingly consolidated corporate entities exercise ever-greater market power, proper enforcement of antitrust law is necessary to ensure a competitive marketplace.
Milberg’s Antitrust Practice Group prosecutes complex antitrust class action lawsuits against major corporate defendants in sectors such as healthcare, technology, agriculture, and manufacturing.
Our Antitrust practitioners combine their deep knowledge of antitrust rules and regulations with unmatched proficiency in trial strategy to obtain optimal remedies for consumers, businesses, and investors harmed by anticompetitive behavior.
Milberg’s Antitrust Practice Group
The globalization of business operations and markets means that anticompetitive acts are not limited to just one country.
Through our offices in the United States and Europe, our Antitrust Practice Group has built a global presence that enables us to provide strategic advice and international legal representation to those affected by antitrust violations.
Focus Areas of Antitrust Practice
- Price-fixing and manipulation
- Market division and customer allocation
- Monopolization and monopoly leveraging
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Illegal tying or bundling of products and services
- Exclusive dealing and refusals to deal
Leadership Roles & Notable Cases
Some of our notable Antitrust cases and appointments include:
- In re Dealer Management Systems Antitrust Litigation – Partner Peggy J. Wedgworth was appointed Lead Counsel for auto dealerships in a nationwide class action alleging that leading software providers monopolized access to auto sales and service data in software used by auto dealerships, which has already yielded a $29.5 million settlement with one defendant
- In re Google Play Consumer Antitrust Litig., 20-CV-05761 (N.D. Cal.) – Partner Peggy J. Wedgworth was appointed to the Steering Committee in a consolidated class action lawsuit alleging Google antitrust violations
- In re Liquid Aluminum Sulfate Antitrust Litigation – Milberg holds a court-appointed Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee position in a case alleging artificial price inflation by manufacturers of a chemical essential to municipal water treatment
- In re Disposable Contact Lens Antitrust Litigation – a class action alleging that contact lens manufacturers conspired to maintain artificially high prices for disposable contact lenses
- In re Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litigation – a class action alleging an international conspiracy to keep prices for CRT displays artificially high
Settlements & Recoveries
Since Milberg’s founding in 1965, the firm has repeatedly represented clients in cases that have set legal precedents and recovered over $50 billion in verdicts and settlements.
Our recent Antitrust settlements include:
- $180 million settlement – Blessing v. Sirius XM Radio Inc. – Co-Lead Counsel in a case alleging that the merger of two U.S. satellite radio providers led to the monopolization of the satellite radio market and the elimination of competition – Milberg achieved a settlement for the class valued at $180 million
- $9 million settlement, the largest consumer recovery from a pay-for-delay case in Kansas – Sandhaus v. Bayer AG – Co-Lead Counsel in a case alleging that Bayer and several generic drug manufacturers entered into pay-for-delay agreements concerning an antibiotic marketed by Bayer which caused the plaintiffs to continue paying supra-competitive prices for the drug throughout the class period
- $5.5 million settlement, plus injunctive relief – In re Fresh Process Potatoes Antitrust Litigation – Co-Lead Counsel for indirect purchaser plaintiffs in a class action alleging that potato growers, their cooperatives, processors, and packers violated federal antitrust laws by conspiring to manipulate the price and supply of potatoes
Milberg’s Antitrust Practice Group will continue working aggressively to vindicate the rights of plaintiffs victimized by antitrust violations and hold companies that engage in anticompetitive behavior accountable.