Gary Klinger is one of the most well-known and respected data privacy attorneys in the United States, settling more than thirty class actions involving privacy violations as lead or co-lead counsel. In addition, Mr. Klinger is well-versed in both sides of class action litigation. Working with several big firms, serving as defense for Fortune 100 clients, he eventually discovered he wanted to join the plaintiff’s side of the practice.
His privacy practice includes: data breaches, ransomware attacks, unlawful collection and/or disclosure of personal information, and violations of privacy statuses and/or laws, such as the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, Illinois Genetic Information Privacy Act, California Consumer Privacy Act, California Medical Information Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and General Data Protection Regulation. Mr. Klinger has won hundreds of millions of dollars for his clients.
Mr. Klinger also represents consumers in class actions and mass arbitration for claims involving false advertising, defective products, consumer fraud, violations of the antitrust laws, and other torts.
Currently, Mr. Klinger is pursuing his Masters of Laws (LLM) in Data Privacy and Cybersecurity from the University of Southern California Gould School of Law.
Outside the office, he enjoys cheering on the Chicago White Sox and playing golf. He and his wife, Lina, and their two sons, Liam and Noah, live in Chicago, Illinois.
- Carrera Aguallo v. Kemper Corp., No. 1:21-cv-01883 (N.D. Ill. Oct. 27, 2021) (where Mr. Klinger, as appointed co-lead counsel, obtained approval of a $17.6 million settlement to resolve class claims against Kemper Corporation in a data breach case involving more than six million class members)
- Jackson-Battle v. Navicent Health, Inc., No. 2020-CV-072287 (Ga. Super. Ct. Bibb Cnty.) (Mr. Klinger appointed class counsel in data breach case involving 360,000 patients; final approval granted to settlement valued at $72 million);
- Karpilovsky v. All Web Leads, Inc., No. 17 C 1307, 2018 WL 3108884, at *1 (N.D. Ill. June 25, 2018) (where Mr. Klinger certified, over objection, a nationwide class action involving more than one million class members; the case ultimately settled for $6.5 million.)
- Kim v. A Place for Mom, Inc., No. 2:17-cv-01826-TSZ (W.D. Wa.) (where Mr. Klinger settled a nationwide privacy class action for $6 million)
- In re Herff Jones Data Breach Litig., No. 1:21-cv-1329-TWP-DLP (S.D. Ind. June 28, 2021) (where Mr. Klinger, as appointed co-lead counsel, obtained approval of a $4.35 million settlement to resolve class claims against Herff Jones in a data breach case involving more than one million class members)
- J.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010
- B.A., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007
- Illinois, 2010
- The U.S. District Court of Colorado
- The U.S. District Court of Central District of Illinois
- The U.S. District Court of Northern District of Illinois
- The U.S. District Court of Southern District of Illinois
- The U.S. District Court of Southern District of Indianna
- The U.S. District Court of Eastern District of Michigan
- The U.S. District Court of District of Nebraska
- The U.S. District Court of Eastern District of Texas
- The U.S. District Court of Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Lawdragon's 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2024
- Certified Information Privacy Professional
- International Association of Privacy Professionals