Sanford P. Dumain represents plaintiffs in cases involving securities fraud, consumer fraud, insurance fraud, and violations of the antitrust laws.
Mr. Dumain began his career as a law clerk to Judge Warren W. Eginton of the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut between 1981 and 1982. During the early years of his practice, he served as an Adjunct Instructor in Legal Writing and Moot Court at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law.
Mr. Dumain has lectured for ALI-ABA concerning accountants’ liability and has prosecuted several actions against accounting firms.
Judge Janet C. Hall of the District of Connecticut made the following comment in In re Fine Host Corporation Securities Litigation, No. 97-2619 (D.Conn.):
“The court also finds that the plaintiff class received excellent counseling, particularly from the Chair of the Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee, Attorney Dumain.”
Mr. Dumain is admitted to practice in the State of New York, United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of New York, District of Connecticut, and United States Court of Appeals for the First, Second, Third, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth Circuits.
Notable Cases and Leadership Roles
- Co-Lead Counsel, In re Tyco International, Ltd. Securities Litigation, No. 02-1335 (D.N.H.) in which $3.2 billion was recovered for investors
- Lead Counsel, securities class actions against Nortel and Biovail, which are the highest and third-highest recoveries ever in cases involving Canadian companies; The Nortel settlement was valued at over $1 billion and Biovail settled for over $138 million in cash
- Represented the City of San Jose, California against thirteen of the city’s broker-dealers and its outside accountants in connection with major losses in unauthorized bond trading
- J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law of Yeshiva University, 1981
- B.A., Columbia University, 1978
- New York, 1982
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York,
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York,
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York,
- U.S. District of Connecticut,
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit,
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit,
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit,
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit,
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit,
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit,